Tuesday, January 28, 2014

yoga PRACTICE

The yoga instructor teaching the class I attended at the gym the other day made a great point.  She said, "This is yoga PRACTICE- not yoga perfect or yoga competition."

I am sure all yoga instructors say that and I am sure I have heard that before, but it hit me.

 I am having so much revelation from simple things that would be so easy to miss and I credit that to the power of my confession.  Waking up every day and ASKING God to help me learn about health and confessing His Word is opening my eyes and ears to things I would normally not hear or see.

Hebrews 4:12 says, "The Word of God is alive and powerful.  It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow.  It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires."

My confession sets my mind in the morning and I find myself searching for truth throughout my day as I pursue health.

While I recently wrote about how "trying" can keep us from our commitment, perfectionism is another major enemy of creating a new habit.

Perfectionism has kept me from trying new things as for years my thinking has been, "If I can't do it perfectly I won't bother doing it at all."  

Black or white.  All or nothing.

No stamina or ability to push through failure. 

Trying and perfectionism can work together against us- I would "try" something  and not be successful right away so then stop. 

Now eating and exercise are two areas I have done this, but it can be a lot bigger than the physical.  For example, I have tried forgiving someone and it goes really well until I see them and have to spend time with them and then get offended by them then frustrated with myself then overwhelmed about the whole forgiveness thing then I get upset all over again then I end it by saying, oh well I tried. 

Committing to creating a new habit does NOT mean achieving perfection in that area, in fact it is quite the opposite.  It means persisting in repeating this new way of living again and again and again, especially when old habits slip in and when mistakes are made.  It is having the awareness to catch yourself when reacting in an unhealthy way more quickly than you had the time before and make a change in the middle of a mistake. 

As a teacher I know that mistakes are one of the best educators.  This is true in the process of creating new habits so if you are expecting yourself to change over night and never revert to old ways you will be disappointed and discouraged.  

While the intense just do it message is essential, there is also a place for grace. In order to successfully create new habits, you have to be patient and gracious with yourself and the process, having the ability to bounce back without getting swept off course by the mistake roller coaster of emotions.  

Habits are reactions- they are things we do without mental energy to think about it.  And to create new reactions we have to train ourselves.  How do we train?  By practicing the same thing again and again and again.  

I have practiced asking God for help every day of this month, and I can honestly say that it is becoming more natural for me to speak out my confession in those moments when I need it most.

Keep practicing.  The fruit of healthy habits is so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment