Thursday, January 23, 2014

confession

I need to back up a few steps and talk a little bit more about confession.

My goal this month is to ask God for help in my pursuit of health, and I have decided to start by writing a confession to pray and ask every single day of this year.  While I have studied and therefore understand the power of this confession, I recognize that this concept may require a little more explanation.

Proverbs 18:21 teaches us that "The power of death and life is in the tongue."  Our words have power as they affect our thoughts and attitude and behavior, and therefore SPEAKING something out of your mouth contains power.  As I ponder my pursuit of health this year, I searched God's word for guidance and the result of what I found along with the desires of my heart this year is this confession.  This confession is nothing more than a statement and prayer that asks and declares what I believe and desire for this year.  I must again reiterate that if our confession will bear fruit, it MUST be backed by God's Word.

Lord please restore my health this year.  
I can't do it without you. 
I release the control of my body to you. 
I recognize that it is not by will nor might but by your spirit that I will see health.  
Give me patience as I wait for you to act and help me not to labor in vain. 
John 15:5 - Zech 4:6 - Psalm 37:7 - Psalm 127:1

I was taught to speak a confession as consistently as I would take medicine.  Just like I take my prenatal vitamin every morning for the health of my body and Eden, I also speak this confession every day for the health of my entire being.  The practice of opening my mouth every day and declaring this statement has power and will produce fruit in my life.  It aligns with the reality that just as in the story of Abraham, we too can "call those things that are not as though they are."  It is a great way to start my day because while it kick starts my focus on making healthy choices, it also reminds me that I can do NOTHING apart from God.

I initially created this habit way back last July when creating new habits for our family.  This post also contains further details about the concept of confession.  



No comments:

Post a Comment