Thursday, January 16, 2014

permission to spend

One thing to know about me is I am a bit frugal.  I do not say that with pride nor shame, just stating it as a fact.

My husband and I have an interesting financial history in connection with the many life changes we have endured.  In the past 3 1/2 years we have climbed our way out of over $65,000 worth of debt, with $5,000 to go until we are officially debt free!  I will add that for 18 months of this journey my husband was unemployed and we were living on one income.  

Let's just say we have had to be frugal during recent years in order to have such incredible fruit.  We can almost taste a debt free life and are motivated in every purchase at the thought of such financial peace and freedom! Financial health is a MAJOR part of holistic health.  

However, in my pursuit of health this year, there is one area of our budget that I am going to open the bank account a little wider for this year and give myself permission to spend and that is health.

Health is an investment and it costs money.  While it seems to cost more money than an unhealthy lifestyle, I am not sure this is true.

Healthy foods, gym memberships, chiropractor and massage appointments, books and study tools to learn about health.  These all cost.

While many people argue that eating healthy is not more expensive, lets just say for arguments sake that it IS more expensive than eating unhealthy and my thought is this: what you save in money you risk losing in time.  Would I rather pay now in these minor ways or later in medical bills or heaven forbid TIME?

Health adds years to your life.  We are so thankful Eden still has so many great grandparents who are still alive!  My husband and I want to be around to know Eden's kids and Eden's kid's kids.  It is worth the investment which is why I have given myself permission to spend money on health related needs this year.  

And I refuse to feel guilty.

This is yet another area of life that I will ask God for help in prioritizing how to spend money and having all of our needs met.




1 comment:

  1. Money is very important you can't afford to spend them blindly. I found this article very general. Lots of people are writing about spending money. But none have the vision to follow the path. Thank you for this general article written in a very interesting and unique way. I'd love to read more from you.

    Regards,
    Jimmie Menon

    ReplyDelete