Friday, July 25, 2014

unlimited eating

I have STILL been recovering from the aftermath of a week of uncontrollable snacking.  Even though my protein shake has consistently kept me satisfied all morning, this tendency to snack has consistently snuck out with the lunch hour.

Over the past few days I decided to take my goal of focusing on adding something good to my eating habits, rather than restricting bad, to a new level with an experiment: unlimited eating of life-giving foods.  

I was intentional to choose foods that were life-giving as I was focusing on the feeling after eating along with the continual habit of making eating sacred.  I basically avoided sugar, dairy, and processed foods.  I have to say I felt amazing.  I ate a lot of nuts, fruit, beans, rice, chicken, and veggies.  A lot.

I gave myself freedom to spend money on a seemingly endless amount of these foods and freedom to eat as much as I desired whenever I was hungry.

The first day alone I ate a protein shake, 3 bowls of venison chili with brown rice, black beans, half of a watermelon, and 1/2 bag of cashews.

Looking back on the week, I have to say it really did curb my snacky mindset.  When snacking was no longer restricted, it was easier to focus on other things, trusting that whenever I would be hungry I would be free to eat as much as my body needed to stay satisfied.  

I am still developing a healthy trust relationship with my body and food.  Because I restricted my eating for so long, my body struggled to trust myself for sufficient nourishment.  And I am still breaking down the rules of bad and good foods along with restricting or indulging mindset.

I constantly redirect my focus back to Eden as I want to model health for my daughter and give her the freedom to create her own healthy eating habits as she becomes more independent.  These two little teeth have allowed us to continue introducing new foods and we are thankful that she enjoys the experience of exploring new flavors and textures.

I pray for health to permeate the atmosphere of our home every time we open our mouths to eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment