Friday, July 11, 2014

protein 101

It is common knowledge that there are major health differences in frozen, canned, and fresh fruits and vegetables.  In that same way, not all protein is the same.  Because my focus this month is to eat intentionally by adding a daily protein shake to my lifestyle, it gave me a great opportunity to learn more about this protein and discovery why it stands out among the rest.

Why a protein shake?
It was pregnancy and now nursing that got me thinking protein.  I was aiming to consume 100 grams of protein a day while pregnant, and most days I barely hit 80-90 grams.  I found myself eating fatty cottage cheese, drinking glass upon glass of whole milk, constantly chowing steaks, and consuming eggs by the dozen just to meet my goal.  It was after gaining 60 pounds during pregnancy that I started to wonder if there was a healthier, more convenient and budget friendly way to consume an adequate amount of protein.

Why so many ingredients?
A common theory in the new whole foods / organic health movement is to stay away from foods with more than 3 ingredients or ingredients that cannot be pronounce, and because of this thought I was initially turned away from the idea of protein shakes.  However, the more research I have done the more I have learned that many of the huge words listed on my canister of protein are really active enzymes and life-giving, scientific based ingredients that add to my body and health.

What do I look for in protein?
I have recently been taught to check out the first 2 and last 2 ingredients when shopping for protein.  The beginning usually shares the content (soy, whey, etc) and the end usually reveals if artificially sweeteners have been used.  When talking protein, I have learned to stay away from soy and artificial sweeteners.

Why Isagenix protein?
While I am not a scientist, I will list my five favorite facts about the IsaLean shake, from the perspective of a non-expert.  I will also reference the articles that share the scientific stuff as there is no need for me to regurgitate all of that.

1. digestive enzymes which I can literally feel working in my body after enjoying a shake

2. gluten free and artificial sweetener free

3. nutrient dense calories make for a complete meal replacement, meaning I actually feel full after having a shake

4. 100% grass-fed New Zealand whey protein
Why choose whey from New Zealand, hormone free cows? 

5. 24 grams of undenatured protein 
Whey Protein Concentrate: A Brief Summary

Because we are on a tight grocery budget, I made sure to do my research before investing in protein consistently.  In my studying I have discovered that most proteins are full of empty calories, estrogens in soy, or artificial sweeteners.  And because I found a protein that is so complete, I have given myself permission to spend money on it each month.  The money we spend on this protein replaces other unhealthy, fatty, empty calories we used to consume.  Investing in my body and health in this way has been worth every penny.

Myth: All Protein is the same 

How much does Isagenix protein cost?
While there are a few different kinds of protein available through Isagenix, the standard IsaLean shake I consume daily is just under $3/meal.  A canister of 14 shakes is $40.  I buy two of these a month, which is $80/month for 28 meals.  In all of my budgeting and meal planning, I have not found a deal as good as this.

Check out the fruit from the investments we have made in our health this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment