Friday, June 27, 2014

living water

I have thoroughly enjoyed my month of feeling quenched.  Taking my water drinking to the next level has made a significant impact on my body and health.  I hope to continue drinking my suggested number of ounces daily as a new part of my lifestyle.

Why not, right?

But beyond literal water and physical thirst, I have enjoyed the spiritual parallels much more as water is a biblical concept as it both cleanses and quenches our spirit man.

1. Water cleanses.

While searching for scripture connected with the concept of water, I ran across this well articulated thoughtWater not only sustains our bodies, but also is an integral part of our spiritual lives.  The Bible is rich with images of water that symbolize new life, cleansing, and the fulfillment of God's promises.  

Just like water cleanses my cells and allows my body to operate in health, I need this same cleansing experience within my spirit.

2. Water quenches.

The fourth chapter of John shares a story which contains a life changing truth.  "Jesus said to her, 'Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, but those who drink of the [living] water that I give them will never be thirsty.  The [living] water that I will give will become in them a spring of water gushing up to eternal life.' "  -John 4:13-14

In the same way that our bodies are sustained by physical water, our spirits cannot thrive without Christ.  It has been during the painful seasons in my own life of perpetual darkness and unexpected loss that I look back and testify to this quenching of my soul as I have been satisfied in the deepest and most intimate places by this living water.

Because although physical thirst is worth avoiding as it leads to physical death in the most extreme situation, spiritual thirst risks far more eternal results.  Only the living water Jesus offers can cleanse my being and quench my deepest thirst, satisfying my soul both now and for all of eternity.

When I grab for my Nalgene, may it remind me to also reach out for the Living One whose water is always available.

No comments:

Post a Comment