Tuesday, April 1, 2014

April: Exercise

With my recently increased energy, I am excited to write about this month's life changing habit: exercise.

This is potentially one of the biggest shifts in thinking I will have made thus far.  Ok, learning to value my body and care for it was a big one as for years I loathed and destroyed this body.  The constant reminder to ask God for help in the pursuit of health is up there in the life-changing category as well.
But this exersice issue has haunted me for years. 

With my historically dysfunctional relationship with health and image, overexersice was a major problem.   Beyond the physical side-effects, I can look back and say that I damaged my mind even more. I would go on the same elliptical machine at the same gym at the same time for 60 minutes every day, watch the same TV shows, and mentally drift off into madness. I overworked my body and numbed my mind in the process, which left me with a bad taste in my mouth every time I heard the word.

Until now. 

Because now I am making a choice to let go of the past, change my thinking, rediscover the value of this habit, and pursue the fruit of moving my body in a new and healthy way.

Habit: Find ways to naturally implement exersice into my lifestyle and redefine "exercise" in a perspective that will allow me to enjoy physical activity.

I will redefine exersice by changing the what and why.

What?  I used to have the mindset that the only way I could consider my activity "exersice" would be if I went to the gym, devoted more than 45 minutes to the event, and broke a sweat. In my pursuit of fruit this year, I am learinng that there are endless ways to gain the benefit of moving our bodies and therefore, once I disemble my rules, this habit not as hard to implement into a busy lifestly as I would have thought.

Why?  While I used to exersice for the sole purpose of looking "better," I have taken some time to study and find that image is the most surfacy benefit of this habit. Exercise benefits our bodies in countless ways beyond image and I am excited to learn and then share some of the many benefits in upcoming posts this month.

Challenge: 30X4 = 30 minutes a day --  4 days a week

Free and Easy Options:
1. daily walk outside- every day that the weather allows us to bring Eden out, we will be walking
2. exercise videos- when rain, or dare I even say snow, keeps us in, I have multiple exercise videos I can choose from to keep my body moving to access all of the holistic health benefits
3. stretching and strength training- this is such an easy thing to do on the ground at home with so many guides on-line to keep me on task and working a variety of muscles

I can't wait to get started and continue to enjoy the fruit of this healthy habit.


No comments:

Post a Comment