Saturday, April 19, 2014

not a priority

Now that I have been exercising for the last 3-4 months somewhat consistently, I ask myself why I stopped for the past 5 years?  The fruit is worth the time and energy I have given to this healthy habit

While I am tempted to say "I didn't have time," the more I think about it I realize that it is more accurate to say "it was not a priority."  Saying "I don't have time" is nothing more than an excuse which makes it sound like I am a victim of my own schedule, when really I am in charge of those daily lifestyle desicions.  It is both freeing and simplifying to accurately articulate such a decision.

It is the same with finances; rather than saying, "We cannot afford to..." I am going to start saying, "It is not a financial priority for us to..."

It just feels more honest. 

So much of living a healthy life is learning how to budget money and time and it all comes down to priorities. 

Having clarified that, this leads to my most recent exercise question: now that I have made the decision that I would like to make exercise a part of my lifestyle, what specific form of exercise fits into my current priorities?

The world of exercise is overwhelming in that there are so many options it can feel paralyzing to know where to begin.

Just to name a few options:


So I asked myself 3 questions:
What are my goals?  movement
How much time can I give each week?  30 minutes x 4 days/week
Who, if anyone, will join me?  hubs and baby

For me right now, a 30 minute walk is perfect.  It allows for time with my family, time to be outside in the redeeming spring, time to unwind after a long day, and time to move.

While I am not suggesting every person has the time to pursue a rigid exercise plan, I will suggest that every person could fit some type of movement into their lifestyle if they chose to make it a priority and that the fruit would be worth the sacrifice.


In light of priorities, here is Eden at the bank opening her first savings account.  
This is a big financial priority for us.  Because we want to say yes to saving for her future, 
we are willing to say no to other daily conveniences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment