Friday, August 15, 2014

sleep is productive

I hate wasting time.  Time is precious and I just cringe at the thought of time lost to meaningless pursuits. 

I used to view sleep as a waste of time, until I had a baby.  

And then the sleep of this precious little girl took over my entire life.

At nine months old, she has slept through the night once.  Even though she is totally worth every ounce of exhaustion, it is an understatement to say that I am tired.  It has been through this life-changing, amazing, and exhausting experience of parenting that I have really started learning about the negative effects that come with lack of sleep.  

In my own body, I've noticed many headaches, little energy, increased hunger, stinging eyes, impatience, and holistic exhaustion when I have not gotten enough sleep.  I tend to get very overwhelmed when I am overtired, and small problems with simple solutions can become paralyzing.

Beyond my own observations, this infograph efficiently depicts what sleep does for our body, therefore making it quite productive.  

 
Infographic by Alissa Scheller for Huffington Post 

When I get adequate sleep, I am also more productive during my awake time.  What might take me an hour at the end of a long day running on little sleep could only take twenty minutes with a well rested body and clear mind.

Next time I have 45 minutes all to myself, I'm going to spend it the most productive way possible- sleeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment