Saturday, May 3, 2014

free to eat

Because food is such an important topic for me, I want to revisit a foundational habit at the beginning of this pursuit and invite God into this experience as healthy change always starts in asking God for help.

I recall my daily confession.  I can't do it without you.  So I ask Him for help, listen intently, and dive into His Word.  The first time food is mentioned in the Bible it says, "You are free to eat..."

Stop right there. 

You mean eating isn't bad?  

This is a revolutionary thought for me.  Of course I understand that foundationally eating is important and necessary to stay alive, but could it be good?  Could it be that God is delighted when we ENJOY the experience of eating the foods He created?  Why else would strawberries have such sweetness and pineapple such delicious flavors?   Couldn't we have just had manna each day like the Israelites? 

Just some food for thought.  Literally. 

So I read it again.  "You are free to eat..." and this time the word free hit me.  I spent over a decade of my life trying to figure out what this means.

Does this mean I can eat whatever I want?  
What do I want to eat?  
What should I want to eat?  
What does it look like to have a relationship with food that is based on the foundation of freedom? 

Ten years later, I am starting to shift my perspective on freedom from:
I am free to do whatever I feel like
to
I am free to make a choice, regardless of my feelings. 

The difference is being led by choice rather than feelings.  In my life, freedom means I am in control and I make choices that bring about the fruit I desire. 

Therefore, I am starting to think that this freedom with food does not mean that every time I see a cookie I can eat it, but rather that I have the power to say yes and no to foods based on the needs and desires of my body. 

Our bodies are incredible as they have been perfectly and wonderfully made.  And way down deep, deeper than emotions and thoughts, our bodies deeply crave foods that will allow them to function in the healthiest and most efficient way.  Living foods.  Foods God made, not man.  And I can enjoy those wonderful foods and flavors!

I will tune into the needs of my body more than I ever have before.

Our bodies speak to us, are we listening?



Eden is enjoying her first delicious tastes of solid foods. 

No comments:

Post a Comment