Saturday, March 8, 2014

my 15 seconds are up

My goal for the month of October in 2013 was to slow down, and although I have already written about this last year it is a consistent weakness and worth reiterating in the light of pursuing fruit in this new year.  As I mentioned before, I was informed by a mentor that the newborn stage of life almost literally lasts "15 seconds," and advised to enjoy every single moment.  I can testify that this is true.

My little peanut is not a newborn anymore.

My 15 seconds are already up.

This harsh reality makes me want to slow time down so I can enjoy every stinkin' second of her growth and life.  It makes me want to savor every moment, and stop wishing time away.

When I rock her to sleep, I want to shift my thinking from

"please fall asleep right away so I can go get the 56 things done that I need to do before trying to catch a few hours of sleep before I have to get up and do it all over again tomorrow"

to

"ahhh, there is nothing more wonderful in the world than holding my sleeping daughter as she falls asleep in my arms."  

I commit to stop saying things like:
"I just want spring break to be here."
"It will be so great when Eden is sleeping more during the night."
"I will take better care of myself during the summer."
"I just need to make it through these next few weeks or days or hours."

While many of these thoughts are innocent, the general idea that tomorrow will be better than today is a lie planted in my mind to steal my life.  I don't want to live in the future, I want to live in the now.  Today.  The cold, exhausting, busy day I have been given.

Psalm 118:24 says, "This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it."

Today, March 8, 2014, is an incredible gift.

While this post has a little carpe diem theme, it is heavily interwoven into my new goal this month which is to increase energy.  Seizing the day and enjoying life requires energy.  I don't want to be crawling through any day or season of life in survival mode, just waiting for time to pass and neglecting myself in the process UNTIL...

until we have more money or better weather or more time or more freedom.

No.  No more.

I want to thrive in EVERY SEASON of my life, and I am suggesting that this is possible.  Living a healthy lifestyle and having more energy by eating effective food at efficient times will create a full life in which I have everything I need to enjoy each day.

My 15 seconds are up.  I don't want to miss another moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment